[pyrnet] Pyr in Suburbia

It's 8:00pm and just got totally dark outside.  Bacchus is out being a great guardian dog but wow, has his bark matured!  It's loud!  And insistent!

Is there any way to teach a Pyr that it's OK to give a warning bark or two at someone walking by but that most walkers are OK?  Not to bark incessently in the loudest possible bark at every innocent person trying to get a little exercise, from the time they turn on to the street until they are a speck in the distance?

I realize there are times when it's OK, when his instinct says someone is really suspicious or hanging around, or if someone is walking a dog with a crazy light on the collar causing the light to bounce around like a strobe (he just about goes insane).  But he barks at the same people every day, some who walk by twice a day!  He may just want to go greet them but I'm sure the people see him as a loud threatening dog.

I always pet him and praise him for being a good guardian and tell him he's right to bark, he's just doing  his job, and then try to explain why he doesn't have to *keep* barking, hoping that my calm tone will rub off.  Then I may take him inside but of course he wants to go right back out.

Maybe I just need to adopt an older Pyr with a little more experience and common sense to teach him a few things?

Laurie (my neightbors must be getting sick of this) & Bacchus (but they should thank me for keeping all the bad people away)