RE: [pyrnet] Pyr in Suburbia

<< I always pet him and praise him for being a good guardian and tell him he's right to bark, he's just doing  his job, and then try to explain why he doesn't have to *keep* barking, hoping that my calm tone will rub off.  Then I may take him inside but of course he wants to go right back out. >>

If my dogs are barking for a prolonged period, I will go out to see what they are barking at. If there is no need for them to continue barking, I will tell them “that is enough – and clap my hands, sometimes, they don’t hear my voice over the barking, but they seem to hear the clapping. If they still insist on barking, I bring them inside and keep them in for a period of time. This has resulted in much quieter dogs. I don’t believe that a Pyr has to bark in order to be happy and it definitely makes my relations with my neighbors much easier.

Elaine and Laela