RE: [pyrnet] Pyrs and hardwood floors

Hello all,

My Pyr, Belle, and I are getting ready to move in with my mom, who, unfortunately, has just put in brand new dark hardwood floors. Luckily, the wood is distressed, but I doubt it will camouflage the full impact of a Pyr. My house now actually has wood floors, but I have rugs down everywhere. Belle was just a baby when we moved in here, and she couldn’t walk on the wood without slipping and sliding. I was worried about her development, so I covered as much of the wood as I could. (The wood itself is old and scarred, so I wasn’t really worried about her damaging the floor.) Recently, Belle found a bare wood spot in my house and realized how great it is to lay on the nice cool wood, and I can hardly get her off of it. But she struggles to get her footing when she gets up and scratches at the wood a lot.

So my question is: does anyone have any advice for the best way to cope with Pyrs and hardwood floors? My first concern is her safety; is there any way to keep the slipping and sliding to a minimum? I did once try a paw spray that people often use at dog shows to give the dogs better traction, but it didn’t work at all. And my mom is happy to put rugs down, but I don’t know that it will be as thorough as my coverage was.

Is there any way to keep the damage to the floor to a minimum?

Also, what do you recommend for cleaning? I’ve read that the Swiffers are toxic, but I don’t know what is a good alternative.

Thank you!

Kendra & Pyr Belle