Re: [pyrnet] Pyr Grooming question

I do what Jean does in the tummy area and I also trim the fur on Kodi's chest. So his entire "under carriage" is very trim. These are areas he cannot clean himself and aren't quite as self-cleaning as the rest of his fur. It keeps him free of  stickers and burs :)

Christine

From: "Jeanne Bravin" <gypsyunltd@yahoo.com>
To: pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2010 5:38:08 PM
Subject: Re: [pyrnet] Pyr Grooming question

Hi Laurie -

I tried this on Gypsy for the first time this year. She has horrendous spayed-bitch coat and because she had other issues grooming her is extremely difficult.

I brushed out as much as I could, then clipped the hair on her belly and upper inside part of her legs with a 10 blade. I also used a 7 blade to shorten up the extra long guard hair that she tends to get on her hips and rump - blasted stuff will grow all the way down to the ground if I don't trim it back a bit every year. Anyway when I was done you couldn't even tell that her belly was bare, she looked like a normal pyr, and she certainly seems to be much more comfortable. I will do this again in a heartbeat.

Jeanne Bravin
Mastic, NY
GypsyunLTD@yahoo.com

Pyr's stomach/undersides clipped short and that they thought it helped the dogs keep cool - when lying on tile or in one of their lovely dirt holes.

Any opinions on this?  Good/bad, does it help or not?

Thanks - Laurie