From: Elaine <ferreirae@earthlink.net>
To: Great Pyrenees Discussion List <PYR-L@APPLE.EASE.LSOFT.COM>; pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org
Sent: Wed, July 7, 2010 9:08:08 PM
Subject: [pyrnet] CHAT, CARE : Tucker gets a bath and HATES it!!!!!

Well, to be concise, Tucker got  a bath this afternoon and I stopped because I didnât want to force the issue.

I got home from work today and found that Tucker had diarrhea in his crate and there was quite the mess and a very unhappy puppy. So I put him outside after giving him a few pets as he seemed upset and then I cleaned up the crate. I then gathered the stuff to clean up the puppy and went outside to take care of Tucker. I was able to soap him up with the shampoo and warm water, but when I went to rinse him off with the hose, he fuh-reaked!

He hated the hose, he seem to hate the noise the water made when it splashed on the ground and most of all, he hated when the water hit him. I started out with a light spray and aimed it at his feet, but he wanted nothing to do with this bath stuff. I even tried to empty out the bucket and rinse him off with a rag dipped in clean water, but he was obviously not liking that either and I stopped for the night.

So, I was able to get some of the shampoo out, but not all and I am trying to think of a way to start over tomorrow. The possible approaches are a bucket of warm clean water, lots of rags and lots of treats; a trip to a near-by lake; a trip to the do-it-yourself dog wash or a trip to the groomer. I have to say his attitude really surprised me as I have never had a dog that hated baths like that, some liked it and some tolerated it, but they never reacted like that.

If anyone has any thoughts on how to approach this, I am all ears, so to speak.

Elaine, Laela and Tucker