Re: [pyrnet] Treatment for possible ligament tear in knee

Hi Christine,

I am so sorry to hear about Cody's knee! You truly must have been devastated. :( It took us a while to realise that Kodi used to get worked up when we took him to the vet because I got worked up. . .

As an athletic person who has had my share of knee injuries, an accurate diagnosis is crucial. If the vet thinks Cody injured or tore a ligament,  that means Cody's knee must have somehow had an abnormal or overstretch shift forward (or back) rather than side to side. Most likely a shift forward. His inability to walk or walk comfortably on one leg indicates his knee must be very inflamed and unstable. If this is the case then staying of his leg is important and bed rest is the best thing. A brace may help later on down the line but not at the moment ~ unless the vet thinks it will help him keep his knee in tact and stable. No weight on it is the optimum however.  It will not be easy but it will make a huge difference in the healing process.

Anyway, ice really helps reduce inflammation and since it may not be easy to apply there are bandages that might help. I have had good luck with Uriel Ice & Go Bandages. They last two hours and up to 8 hours if you wet the band first. They are sort of disposable and they seem pricey but since Cody's leg is slim, I am thinking you may get a lot of use out of two or three rolls. They are convenient and provide instant relief. These are way cheaper on line compared to where I live and the ones on Amazon are the least expensive I have found so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Ice-Go-Elastic-Cool-Bandage/dp/B0030N2DD6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1280428666&sr=8-1

I wish I could be of more help since I know first hand how difficult, frustrating and heart breaking it can be trying to keep an active Pyr mellowed out.

Please keep us up to date on Cody's progress and hang in there.

christine/kodiak

btw We gave our Bouvier Tramadol (Ultram) when he had cancer and it sort of made him more euphoric rather than sleepy.