Re: [pyrnet] Treatment for possible ligament tear in knee

Hi,

Well, Cody has had his first serious injury.  He came in from outside on Tuesday night, walking on only 3 legs.  He could not put any weight on to his hind leg.  I was devastated and the vet made a housecall the next morning.  By feel, she said he has injured his knee and probably tore a ligament.  We can't be sure as taking him in for testing is a problem due to him getting so worked up when going into the vet's office, that he'll have a seizure.  I've increased his Metacam and the vet prescribed Tramadol.  We have to keep him on "bed rest" for 2 weeks to see if he can heal.  Fortunately, the Tramadol makes him sleepy, so it is easier to keep him in the house - which all of you know is nearly impossible for a Pyr!

If needed, surgery is an option, but the seizure issue complicates everything.  Has anyone had any experience with surgery or other treatment?  What about a knee brace?  By the way, Cody is nearly 8 years old.

Thanks,
Christine