Re: [pyrnet] Help! Bro/Sis Q's New Sister for Kodiak/Rescue Pyr

Hi Christine,

Congrats and getting a new Pyr pal.  It sure takes some adjusting on everyone's part. We have a Chihuahua, a Border Collie, a Pyr, and well Tucker is supposed to be a full Pyr but
he looks more like Pyrenean Mastiff to us. He's huge and has a boxy head. He weighs 170 pounds! The vet said he only needs to lose about ten pounds. Kinda doubt he's a full
Pyr. Our Chloe looks just like most Pyrs and looking at photos on the net I could swear it's her. She has weighed 120 at her highest and is 90 pounds now due to some meds she is
on for seizures. I can only walk one at a time. My husband walks them both at the same time using a leash coupler. They both wear harnesses as well. I could never walk them at
the same time. Regular collars and two leashes just wasn't working for us. They constantly wanted to cross paths and get tangled up. The coupler works great cause it keeps them
close together and it swivels so they can't get tangled. I got it on eBay. Here is a link with the listings for them. I highly recommend them. You just have to sift thru to find one that
would be best size wise to handle your two.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=leash+coupler&_sacat=See-All-Categories

The leads on our coupler are 1 inch wide and only 15 inches in length. They are showing no wear or tear on them after much use with Tucker being so huge and tending to pull
sometimes to just slightly get in front of his sister! They both do that actually. The maker of the leash coupler let me choose two different colors. One side is Pink for Chloe and other
side is black for Tucker.

Chloe's harness we got at PetSmart. Just an extra large one. Tucker's we special ordered online and it's this one (and I see it's much cheaper now! 2 years ago we paid $50 for it).
Love it cause it's way easier to put on than those standard harnesses and it gives us control over Tucker as it has a handle on it.

http://www.dog-harness-store.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=82&products_id=496

As for giving them both the same amount of attention... it's hard. Really hard. Chloe is a Diva that commands attention. However she's also shy and let's Tucker push her aside.
He will deliberately push her away and jump up on the bed first and lay on my husband so Chloe can't. If he's in a room and Chloe starts to walk in, he growls at her as if to say,
"this is MY room and MY daddy". We've not had much success in breaking him of this habit. We try to encourage Chloe to be faster at getting on the bed! hahaha! If you are petting
one dog, they all want love. Oh if we only had 8 hands! Chloe will be 5 in January and Tucker will be 3 in March. I love them so much. They have the silliest personalities. They each
make us laugh at least ONCE a day. Smile emoticon  All you can do is keep on giving out that love best you can. Good Luck!

~Kim in Ohio
Chihuahua - Puppy
Border Collie - Maggie
Great Pyrenees - Chloe
Whatever He Is Pyrenean Mastiff - Tucker  Smile emoticon