Re: [pyrnet] This Pyr almost looks like a red roan?

Funny you should send that link--I've had that open on my computer for weeks. My understanding of Pyrs being mostly white is that they're really a number of colors (as is evidenced by that link) but that color is always covered up by the extreme white spotting pattern (on the S allele).

I thought roaning was controlled by something also involving S. Roaning could be grouped in with irish, piebald, and extreme white spotting, as it is something else that puts white over a dog's colored pigment.

If it is some sort of roaning happening here, and the roaning is covering the dog's pigment (as opposed to extreme white spotting), then I'm confused as to why it doesn't happen more often?

Can't wait to hear more thoughts on this.....

*Andréa deCarlo*
http://www.andorrawebdesign.com