Re: [pyrnet] This Pyr almost looks like a red roan?

The dog (who is Angeyjas Admiral Benbow - World Winner Veteran 2008) is a colour called 'arrouye' which is fairly highly prized and appreciated as a colour in Pyreneans (particularly in Europe) though not overly common.

There seem to be some nice dogs of this colour being bred at the moment however - Italy and Scandanavia have seen most in recent years though there are definitely some in Western Europe. Elena Vespa from Italy has an article on it here: http://digilander.libero.it/monursita/arrouye3.htm

More common than Arrouye are tones of lemon or red in varying shades (and wolf grey). The lemon colour is also seen in badger/blaireau markings. Note that arrouye is not a straight red, it is 'different'.

Roan is not a colour (or rather coat pattern as 'roaning' is an effect on the base colour) you will see in Pyreneans.

Tracy Bassett
Espinay Pyrenean Mountain Dogs
"Putting te Breed before breeding"
Gunning NSW Australia