Re: [pyrnet] This Pyr almost looks like a red roan?

Hmm. I got that dog's picture from this thread on the Great Pyrenees Community site (http://toppooch.ning.com/forum/topics/1979071:Topic:5827?id=1979071%3ATopic%3A5827&page=1#comments). There, they claim that he is not arrouye, rather they dub him a "red head." I don't know a lot about arrouye, but I thought it was a dark red-rust color (that darkens with age unlike most Pyr pigmentation).

There was some disagreement on the thread as to what constitutes arrouye, but I did think that it had to do with the color of the markings showing under the extreme white spotting pattern.... and wouldn't be what would explain what I would have thought to be a deviation from the extreme white spotting pattern. Wouldn't roan affect the visibly pigmented areas of the dog, rather than the white that covers up the pigment? That dog's patches don't seem to be roaned.

I don't know a lot about this, and really appreciate your knowledge, Tracy. I'm not trying to be argumentative--I'm just trying to better understand!

*Andréa deCarlo* http://www.andorrawebdesign.com