Re[3]: [WW] DMG?

Hi Alan!

I am humbled ;).

Although I frequently "wing it" I have to admit, that the D&D tends to
be quite table-top-like. Since we are used to more freeform RPGs, my
group does explain what they want to do, and then we look for rules
(if at all).

Not holding Weird Wars yet (PEG - you did send a few to wholesalers
overseas first thing when you got them, didn't you? ;-)) I have no
idea to what extent the rules are _not_ in there. I assume that combat
works differently, so that would be in...

To make a potentially lenghty rant short - go buy the Players
Handbook. It seems to be worth it :D.

while you are at it: Play some D&D, too. It's kind of teenage fun.
Makes me feel young again (Actually my group IS kind of young at
29,26,22 and 19. Sometimes I feel they consider me their granddaddy or
something - at 32).

> Okay. . . this one I can't just let go by.

> First.
> Race.  Pick one.  Apply stat modifiers, skills modifiers, gain a few free
> skills and special abilities
[..]
> Level up - gain a level, but do you cross-class, gain hit points and apply
> racial and stat bonuses.  Does your new class . . . you get my point.  That
> to call ANYTHING about the D20 system as simple is. . . inaccurate.

> We've been playing D20 DnD for 8 or so months now on a regular weekly
> basis.  EVERY night we have to go to the rulebooks to look something
> up.  Usually three or four times.  I'm not saying that Deadlands and other
> games don't have there complexities, but this is a group that has played
> dozens of games, included Champions and Phoenix Command.  AND WE STILL have
> to look up rules every game night - even though we have expressly forbidden
> anything from the expansion books except on a piece by piece basis. (We've
> allowed three things so far - one spell from the cleric book, one feat from
> the MU book and the expanded familiar table from the MU book).

> On a similar note - combat was not discussed.  As just the leading edge of
> the whole combat complexity I want to point out that my character has at
> least 7 different AC values - based on full AC w/ Dodge, w/out Dodge,
> Flanked, Surprised, Touch, Surprised and Flanked, Bypass normal armor. And
> probably a couple more to throw in.  What I do is just tell the GM to see
> if they hit a value 20, if so then I'll figure out the situational mods to
> see if he really hit.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Arne Reuter

--
TSE GmbH Neue Medien, Hovestr.14, 48351 Everswinkel
Tel: +49 2582 66180            FAX: +49 2582 661833