Re: [WW] Various Ideas

> Opposed by the energy gained from Dedication to the
> Cause. This could
> explain why the Germans, even with their advantages
> in men and
> material, failed so badly at the Ardennes in '44.

Keeping in mind of course that dedication to the cause
runs along all axii and allies ;-)

The Germans (not confusing Nazi = all Germans) were
dedicated to righting the wrongs suffered by the
Father Land in times past, the Japanese were trying to
secure their pacific zone of operation after
"aggression from the Europeans", the American's were
on that Pearl Harbour kick, and so on. Everyone had
their cause and believed in it to the point of the
ultimate sacrifice.

What cause was right or wrong is decided by the
victors after the fact.

On another note, I'm not sure about the Ardennes. The
Germans were on a very tight supply line and had
thrown a majority of what they had along a narrow
front. Hardly superiority in men and equipment by any
account from what I've read. I agree that along the
axis of attack they massed equipment but across the
local front they were mostly outnumbered. Merely
good(?) planning and the surprise factor. Still a
gamble by all standards.

The gamble didn't pay off however (due to the heroism
of many a soldier which should never be discounted by
any analysis) and the consequences were suffered there
after.

Cheers,
Mr. B