From: Casey McGirt [mailto:cmcgirt@hotmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2001 11:05 PM
To: weirdwars@gamerz.net
Subject: [WW] Class Balance

Overall, I really like the Weird Wars rules.  But I'm a little worried about

class balance - some of the classes are a lot more powerful than others.

Case in point...the Scout.  I went and compared him to the Officer, and the
comparison doesn't even come close:
* Scout - d8 hit dice, best attack progression, good Fort save, 4 skill
points/level, bonus Feat every 3 levels, Sneak Attack, Track, Pathfinder,
Uncanny Dodge, One With Nature.
* Officer - d8 hit dice, best attack progression, good Will save, fair Fort
save, 4 skill points/level, bonus feat every 3 levels, Rank.

I'm having a little trouble seeing how Rank and a slight save boost stack up

against Sneak Attack, Track, Pathfinder, Uncanny Dodge, and One With Nature.

  Unless I'm missing something, the Officer seems to get the short end of
the stick (even with the ability to be in charge).

Likewise, the medic seems to be a bit of a lightweight.  The chart shows two

bonus feats (total), Unflappable, and Improved Healing.  They get a lower
attack bonus than any of the other military classes (not counting prestige
classes, of course), a lower HD than the grunt, and the same amount of
skills.  Their main advantage is the ability to avoid some (but not all)
enemy fire, due to the Geneva Conventions (something the horrors of the
Weird Wars aren't likely to care about).  At the least, I would have
expected more skill points or a few extra special abilities.  The only thing

that balances out the medic is the "cleric syndrome" - someone needs to play

the healer if you want the group to survive.

I'm trying to figure out what to do when I run the game.  I have a few ideas

to balance the classes out (some roleplaying adjustments, and some changes
in the mechanics), but I was wondering if anyone else sees the same problems

I do.

-Casey