[WW] Random, unavoidable death (Was RE: [WW]  Class Balance)

Wes' quick illustration of how officers work was tongue in cheek, I think.  There's an old joke, something about an officer tasked with putting up a flagpole.  He gets a sergeant, a private, a 20-foot pole, and a ball of twine.  How does he solve the problem?  He says, "Sergeant, get that flagpole up."

On the subject of this message - unavoidable death is part of war. It doesn't matter who you are, or how well trained - when your path intersects the bullet's, that's it.  In Weird Wars, there is the element of character as hero, and heroes _do_ have some freedom from the general rule that war, while not random, is indifferent to who lives and dies.  But, when used judiciously, the sudden and surprising death of a character can be quite dramatic.

Consider "Saving Private Ryan":  by the end of the movie, most of the main characters were dead.  It was a powerful thing to see, because it was jarring - heroes and protagonists aren't supposed to die.

I'm not saying every character should be killed off, or every campaign needs to kill characters, but if the character is in a situation where he or she is going to die, then he or she is going to die.

-Chris