[WW] Re: Magic

>I would be rather inclined NOT to give the PCS any
>magic at the start but rather to send them into
>occupied territory to investigate some strange rumours
>where they can encounter some magic in action and
>start to learn about it themselves - the equivalent of
>finding a grimoire in old D & D terms. Maybe they can
>find a teacher or some event 'awakens' them - the
>magical equivalent of radioactive contamination. I
>still like the idea that magic requires an inborn
>talent rather than it being possible for anyone to
>learn it.
>
>I am not sure about divine magic in a christian
>setting, it makes me uncomfortable. Still I should
>wait until I actually get the book !
>
>I have in mind Barbera Hambley's novel about a fantasy
>wizard arriving in nazi Germany. A good source.
>
>Michael

I'd allow chaplains the ability to 'turn' undead, but at first give
them negative modifiers because of their inexperience with the
unliving.

As to 'divine magic'. A spontaneous 'casting' system would work
better in this sort of setting. The cleric asks for a miracle, and if
he's been a good cleric God lends a hand.

However, it doesn't have to be something along the lines of a blatant
miracle. It might be what most folks consider a coincidental event.
Such as, say, a defunct generator sparking off when the chaplain asks
for a 'Call Lightning'.

Alan
--
_______