[WW] RE: [WW] RE: [WW]  Class Balance

I went over the top with my example, but it was realistic. Its my job on a
open field to scout ahead and check for German Soldiers. This means that
they get spot checks that simply have to beat my sneak roll to see me. It
happens more often than I would like, and usually results in a least one
shot being fired at me.

Worse is when they are smart wait for me to be right on top them and then
all fire at me. Benies get burned fast that way. My group provides support
but when the entire German line knows about you they fire at you not the
officer back in the tree line. That is until they realize he is there...
Then he gets the attention! ;-)

Now as to my example. Hell yes it uses role-playing to balance. If you take
a good look an Pinnacle games you will note that it is standard. What
balances a Blessed in Deadlands, role-playing with the sinnin' table. Not
solid mechanics. If the GM or Marshal does not choose to make use of the
role-playing elements to balance the game then any game can be unbalanced. I
have a rules lawyer in my game that is notorious for point that out. 3E D&D
is no different. Get a fighter with a Spike Chain, and Combat reflexes and
improved trip and watch him pull down every person that comes within 10ft of
him making them easy target for the rest of a party. All systems have holes.
Thus the only solution to many of these problems is to role-play out of
them. I don't like adding artificial rules that might be even more
unbalancing to a situation when the role-playing can correct them easier and
in a realistic fashion.

The point was the officer looks weak compared to a scout, but as someone who
has been playing for a bit, its us scouts that have the high mortality rate,
not the officer. So they are balanced. Heck if anything its weighted against
us poor scouts alone, ahead of the group waiting to take fire from the
ambush.

Wes