Re: [WW] Quality of Soldiers in World War II

However, I recently found out that's a myth - they
were, as Michael already mentioned, simply average
(although small-unit initiative was encouraged). The
reason they inflicted more casualties is that they
were almost always dug in, fighting in defensive
fortifications, while the Allied troops were always
assaulting said fortifications, which meant that the
Allies needed 2-3 times the manpower to dislodge the
Germans.

Not entirely true for the start of the war rather than
the end. The Germans certainly weren’t always on the
defensive (just ask the Russians or the French) and
their initial assault tactics and combined arms
approach were revolutionary for the time.

Before the Eastern Front had dried up much of the
available skilled manpower (the exceptional troops
rather than the mediocre) and Allied bombing had made
an utter mess of logistics, I would have placed the
German infantry soldier as in the upper ranks of skill
and ability. They were very well trained, well
equipped, and dedicated to their cause.

Along with Arne, my campaign begins in 1940-41, rather
than 44. The world was a much different place at that
time and the potential for adventure and discovery for
the PC’s wide open. The first mission for my lads will
be uncovering exactly how the Luftwaffe is managing
such accurate night time bombing missions against
vital targets in England. Some detective work to get
people used to the system and each other. What they
will eventually discover will throw them into the arms
of the OSS quite nicely. From there we’ll probably
head over to Africa for a bit of a sand bash. Normandy
is a long way off and I doubt many of the group will
actually still be there to see it.

Cheers,
Mr. B