[WW] Quality of Soldiers in World War II

Speaking of the quality of the soldiers, for a while I had always been under the impression that German soldiers were better than their opponents, because during the Allied invasion they inflicted 2-3 enemy casualties for every one German casualty (and thus, the only reason we could beat them was overwhelming numbers).

However, I recently found out that's a myth - they were, as Michael already mentioned, simply average (although small-unit initiative was encouraged).  The reason they inflicted more casualties is that they were almost always dug in, fighting in defensive fortifications, while the Allied troops were always assaulting said fortifications, which meant that the Allies needed 2-3 times the manpower to dislodge the Germans.

-Chris