Re: [WW] Sherman Tank vs. Purple Worm

>Well, let me look at this with the numbers in front of me...
>
>M4, Standard Sherman
>Huge Vehicle
>DP (HP) 75
>AC 15 (-2 Size, +7 Armor (extrapolated))
>Weapons (Attacks)
>75L40 cannon 8d10/55 AP,
>M1919 MG x2 2d8/-5
>M2 2d10
>Armor
>Turret 90/50/50, Upper Hull 90/40/40, Lower Hull 50/40/40, Deck 25, Susp 30
>
>Purple Worm
>HD 16d10+112 (200 HP average)
>AC 19 (-4 size, -2 Dex, +15 natural)
>Attacks
>Bite 2d8+12, Sting 2d6+6
>Improved Grab
>Swallow Whole (Large or smaller)
>Poison
>Tremorsense
>
>Okay, unless the Worm gets a good damage roll when hitting the Deck or
>Suspension, it's not going to hurt the Sherman much at all. While the
>Sherman will be putting 8d10 AP rounds into it. Which, doing 44 points
>average, will put it to 0 hp in five hits. Not including hits from the MGs.
>
>How can the Worm defeat the Sherman? Surprise, Bull Rush. Ram it, come up
>under it, try to knock it on it's side. While this will kill the tank, until
>an ARV can be summoned, Shermans rarely travelled alone, and it's
>platoon-mates will be pouring fire into the beastie...
>
>So what does this mean, for AFVs v. Monsters? Well, put it in context -
>Tanks and such will tear up big monsters, but they're quite vulnerable to
>magic, and most grunts are pretty weak compared to the monsters. Granted,
>their firearms are pretty effective, though...and so is the artillery...
>
>Properly employed, modern forces will probably chew through most fantasy
>monsters, who don't have arcane support. Or who don't get smart...
>
>Noah

Let us not forget that great, gaping hole that is a purple worm's
mouth. Plant a round of HE down it and you'll get a twitching,
headless corpse.

For real fun, try a later model Sherman with an upgraded 76, or a
British Firefly (modified Sherman) with a 17 pounder.

Alan
--
_______

Mythusmage.com, <http://www.mythusmage.com> at its new location!