RE: [WW] Sherman Tank vs. Purple Worm

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001 23:59:38 -0400, you wrote:

>Looking at the situation, this would be my decision.
>
>For any (non-WW) critter bigger than Medium size, I would divide the natural
>AC bonus by two.  Half (rounded down if odd) is applied to AC as normal.
>The other half (rounded up if odd) is multiplied by 10 and used as Armor
>Value like a vehicle.

Very nice. The Arcane Penetration Table on page 138 of the rulebook
implies that a +1 bonus is equal to a +10 PV/Armor, but a straight x10
conversion gave me values that were too high. Your method looks like a
good rule-of-thumb conversion.

>Then I would give the critter a Penetration Value based off its size.
>
>Size		PV
>Large		10
>Huge		20
>Gargantuan	40
>Colossal	80

Workable, but I would have based PV off of the monster's STR bonus.
How about PV = (STR bonus-4)x5 ? This means you have to have at least
mildly superhuman strength to get a positive PV, while still
accounting for the occasional monster that's strong out of proportion
to its size.

>Now, the Purple Worm has an AC of 11 and an Armor Value of 80.  As a
>Gargantuan creature, it has a Penetration Value of 40.
>
>You might want to bring a few Shermans.  :)

Amen :) Note that any "Vehiclerized" monster should lose its STR bonus
to hit, as this bonus is now accounted for by its PV.

>Clint Black

Thanks for a great post! Just what I was looking for.

Matt Smith