Re: Re[2]: [WW] German weapons

> That might be much more true for the western front. In Northern Africa
> because of supply shortages both sides grabbed whatever they could.

Agreed, I was referring to Western Europe.  When you're out of ammo, you'll take anything.

> And the maintenance, well, back then those vehicles tended to be a lot
> simpler than today. And crafty mechanics could actually make things...

Yes, mechanics could repair the vehicles, but they would need a pool of wrecks to scrounge from.  Just not as easy as getting the part from the supply sarge.  Speaking from a USA standpoint, most captured vehicles and ordanance were turned over to allies or liberated governments. However, the Germans and Russians commonly would equipe entire divisions based around captured weapons.  This poses less of a risk to the occupants if air support and neighboring troops know they are there.

> btw, I believe booby traps were much more eminent in e.g the vietnam
> war. What I have read this was not in the state of mind of people
> (blow up things, yes, but booby traps? Could hit your own
> civilians...)

You've never heard of the potatoe masher grenades rigged with 2 second fuses, rocks jammed down rifle barrels or seen the Big Red One :)  More seriously, here is a WWII photo that may shed a bit more light on where I was coming from.

http://www.strandlab.com/picarchive/boobytrap.jpg

Anyway, if the players get a kick out of using captured weapons, I would let them as a GM.  However, I'd spice it up a bit with a few boobytraps along the way and an annoying by-the-book LT to confiscate all the 'contraband' every once in a while.  My original post was just to warn all the players that those "evil" GM's out there may have some tricks up their sleeves.
Case in point: "Sarge, that rifle I picked up..the fancy one..you know...the one from that sniper we took out in that cave...well, it talks to me...I mean it tells me things..in my head, ya know..weird things..crazy things..it...it..it..it keeps telling me to kill you...."   hehe "evil GM"
-Tim