Re: [WW] Was Problems, Now Canadians

A couple brief notes on Canadians in WWII. I will post
some sources later.

Canada sent 1.1 million service people to war, which
amounted to 10% of its 11 million population, from
1939 - 1945.

Canadians served in Europe (Italy, and D-Day) as well
as in Hong Kong and the North Atlantic (RCN was
responsible for convoy protection for this half of the
Atlantic) as well as bombing of Europe and the Battle
of Britain (RCAF seconded to the RAF).

Canadians made the most adavnces on D-Day, being the
only (I think, I will check sources) allied force that
actually made the planned push into France (50 miles
on D-Day??) from Juno beach.

Liberated Antwerp and the ports in Holland.

Along with RN, captured U-boats (Movie U-571 was based
on two events one RN and one RCN). 2 Canadian sailors
boarded a U-Boat with sidearms and attempted to
capture it but the U-Boat dove after taking losses.
Both sailors made it back to their corvette unscathed
although one lost his pants in the process.

Some good books:

Maple Leaf Against the Axis by Bercuson
Victory at Falaise by Whitaker et al.
Ortona by Zuehlke
Corvette Navy by Lamb
Tug of War by Whitaker et al.

Movies:

49th Parallel (funny; Olivier as a French-Canadian
lumberjack; UK propaganda piece)
Devil's Brigade (about the combined US/Canadian 1st
Special Service Force)
others to follow.

Peter
another Canadian
(also not prone to harass a person whose first
language isn't english)