[WW] Chainmail and small unit battles

Since WW requires a fair amount of carnage for versimillitude and since
most WMs are loathe to see PCs killed on a regular basis, has anyone
worked up some small unit combat rules?  You know, something to kill the
friendly NPCs with?  Just as a tank crewman with rank may have his own
tank and crew, i don't think it unreasonable for an infantryman with rank
to have a  squad, or even a platoon in the case of officers, to command.
This unit, which presumably includes the other PCs, will eventually get
into a firefight.  What quick way can we use to figure out how many of
the friendly NPCs survived and how many didn't? How many wounded, how
many enemy killed and so on?

The upcoming Chainmail rules may be helpful, though i don't think they're
open source in the way D20 is we can still throw some ideas around.

Another reason for bothering with this line of thought is that by using
the PCs friendships with their NPC brothers in arms, and having a
non-story based trigger for that NPCs death or injury, we can better
immerse the players in the setting.

What do you think?

Happy Gaming,

screenmonkey