[WW] [OT] Re: On Other Systems

The basic GURPS system is very simple, roll the dice and compare  the number
to your skill. Nicely most of the math is done during character creation so
the numbers are already theer on your character sheet.

CoC has the same 'Basic Role-Playing System' as Runequest, Elric, Ringworld
and Superworld (or whatever it was called). Runequest adds more complexity
to combat, in CoC it is basically in ordr of DEX with the infamous, PC
saving, 'firearms go first', so a man with a sword and 18 DEX goes before a
man with 15 DEX and a pistol who in turn goes before a man with 15 DEX and a
knife.
This could have been the first generic system.

Traveller's problem might be that it creates old guys, you normally play
characters in the 40s or so who have just retired from the military. Their
stats might be on the wane but they outskill a FNG.

I must have a look at Lejendary Adventure. We certainly owe EGG that much.

The best thing about MERP was the map of the inn that came with it. I don't
regret selling the game but I miss that map.

Thre is Greg Porter's CORPS. I think there is a lite version you can
download from the BTRC website.

Michael