Re: [WW] Firing main guns (vehicle weapons) at PCs or NPCs

The problem with shooting an individual fighting man with a tank's main
gun seems to have three parts: the attack penalty, the type of action,
and the damage.

The Tiger's Size Modifier would have to be added in (-2 to the Tiger's
attack.)  PHB132 provides other modifiers for targets that are running,
crouching, prone, concealed, behind cover, etc.  Aimed Fire and
Continuous Fire (BotR109) may also come into play.

There's nothing in BotR that says a tanker can not fire his main gun at a
single human target, nor are there attack penalties listed for attempting
to do so.  It stands to reason that shooting a human target with a tank's
main gun is going to take more time than with a bazooka, which is in turn
going to take more time than with a rifle.  The speed with which the
business end of each weapon can be lined up with a target varies.  Using
the guidelines on PHB97, it could be argued that firing a bazooka at a
human target is a full round action, and if that is so, why not two full
round actions for trying to shoot a man with a tank's main gun?

The HE round of the 88L56 is going to do 6d8 damage to anything that's
not a vehicle or a building (BotR97) within the 6 yard burst radius.
Will the damage from an AP round, in the unlikely event that it should
hit a soldier instead of a vehicle, do more or less damage than an HE
round from the same gun?

Considering that BotR112 says that non-explosive rounds (i.e. AP &
Tungsten) have their damage divided by 10 (after PV) against buildings,
so it could be argued that the same procedure should apply to individual
soldiers as targets.  Weapons whose penetrating power is based on
explosive force (AT grenades, HEAT, HE, rockets, etc.) would not have
their damage divided against either buildings or people.

So for what it's worth, my opinion on this is that a Tiger firing an AP
round at a PC must use two full round actions, take a -2 penalty to hit,
and if it does hit, the damage is 8d12 divided by 10.

Happy Gaming,

screenmonkey

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 09:47:29 -0500 niceguymrsack@netscape.net writes:
> I just joined the list server and may have missed a discussion on
> this.  My appologies in advance.
>
> I have been reading the Combat rules for vehicles in BOTR (pages
> 100-112), and I can't find any discussion on firing main guns at
> people.  I expected to find some modifiers for firing at small,
> mobile targets like people rather than the large armored targets
> that the slow to move main guns were designed for.
>
> If not, I'm not complaining.  I like the idea of punching someone's
> favorite character with 8d12 points of damage from an armor piercing
> round of the Tiger's 88L56 cannon!
>
> Who has 8 12 siders?  I'll have to stop by the local gaming store
> and stock up!
>
> Eric

The above space is provided to help protect you from the annoying
advertisement that follows:

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.