Re: [WW] Firing main guns (vehicle weapons) at PCs or NPCs

>From: gathomas4@juno.com
>
>The Tiger's Size Modifier would have to be added in (-2 to the Tiger's
>attack.)  PHB132 provides other modifiers for targets that are running,
>crouching, prone, concealed, behind cover, etc.  Aimed Fire and
>Continuous Fire (BotR109) may also come into play.
-------------------->
gee, i must be frain bried to have forgotten about the size penality to the
attack for the tank. good catch. though i don't believe continuouse fire
bonuses could be used against human target's (unless the idot is stupid
enough to sit still while being pounded on by a tank).

>to do so.  It stands to reason that shooting a human target with a tank's
>main gun is going to take more time than with a bazooka, which is in turn
>going to take more time than with a rifle.  The speed with which the
>business end of each weapon can be lined up with a target varies.  Using
>the guidelines on PHB97, it could be argued that firing a bazooka at a
>human target is a full round action, and if that is so, why not two full
>round actions for trying to shoot a man with a tank's main gun?
---------------------->
i don't totally agree with this assessment. my experience has been that you
can fire an anti-tank weapon with the same speed as a SAW, you just
sacrifice accuracy in the process. i believe hitting a human with a
recoiless rifle would apply a small penality (-2 ?) if fired as a standard
action. as for 2 round actions for the tank gun, consider that the target
will likely move while the gun takes 2 rounds to move. IMHO, i would rule
that...
1. the cannon MUST be pointed in the direction of the target already.
2. the gunner must have initiative over the target or have held his action
(ready a partial action PH pg.127)
3. the gunner must still take some form of penality on his fire (i would say
@ -2, again allowing for hte speed at which the turret traverses). then
still the modifiers from PH table 8-8.
IMHO.

>Considering that BotR112 says that non-explosive rounds (i.e. AP &
>Tungsten) have their damage divided by 10 (after PV) against buildings,
>so it could be argued that the same procedure should apply to individual
>soldiers as targets.  Weapons whose penetrating power is based on
>explosive force (AT grenades, HEAT, HE, rockets, etc.) would not have
>their damage divided against either buildings or people.
-------------------->
in the unlikely event that the round actually hits a person, i would just
rule him/her/it as toast. consider the physical trauma on an average person
caused by a "normal" auto accident at 25mph. consider a man wearing standard
balistic armor (which can prevent penetration by large calibur rounds) still
suffers from brused or broken ribs when hit by a .45ACP. imagine the effect
of a 80 to 120mm round, traveling at (i'm not that good with tank guns so
this is a real low guess) 1100fps. a man's body woudl not even stop the
round, just rip him to pieces. i doubt if it would even trigger a standard
PD/SQ fuse.
again, IMHO, i think the effect woudl be...

these are just my ramblings and are likely not that accurate (memory slips
as you get older anyway). but this is how i would rule on this situation...

...the rich
"Of course there is Lee, but this is one Santa that's going out the front
door."
         --------->can you name this movie?