Re: [WW] Artillery, Navigation, and Hell in the Hedgerows

Humbly I disagree with this assumption. I don’t
believe that the average Grunt has any experience in
calling in artillery. Being on the receiving end, for
sure, but not in the calling in by choice.

Artillery is generally a scarce resource. There’s more
calls for its use than batteries ready to fire. So I
can’t see Grunts being able to utilise this scarce
resource just by their very existence.

Secondly – communications. Not everyone has a radio
with which to call for fire support. An officer is
going to take a very dim view of the average Grunt
cluttering up the radio waves with their cries for
fire support unless it’s by that Officer’s direct
order. The radio man follows the Officer around the
battlefield so that higher command can get in contact
and vice versa.

I see calling in fire support as an Officer
prerogative (or highest ranking NCO). If they lack the
Forward Observer feat they order someone else to do it
for them. In very rare circumstances (unit cut off,
unit with no officers/NCOs available) would a Grunt be
the one doing the fire support calls on their own
prerogative.

> i'm also thinking that Officers and Scouts should
> have Navigation as a
> class skill.

I certainly agree with that.

Cheers,