RE: [WW] Pilots? Pretty please?

>I am in a state or awe at this. So what you are saying is that I write a
>game system based on the d20 OGL. Then anyone can photocopy my book, or
>scan it (ASCII) and give it to whomsoever they wish *without* paying me
>for it and there's nothing I can do about it?
>
>Bizarre.
>
>I'm off to set up my scanner.
>
>ASCII versions of everything ever produced for d20 will be available for
>free download from my website shortly. I won't be charging anyone for
>it, but fear not, I will mention the OGL at every opportunity.
>
>Robbie

I am not a lawyer, but, I think that's the idea.  Just remember that you
can only include the "open gaming content" of a book--the actual text.  The
layout, art, etc. is not covered.  And some of the text still is the
"intellectual property" of the author/company.  I think of game mechanics
as "open content" but anything else ("flavor text," a module plot, etc.) as
proprietary.  Even that's not a great guideline, since the experience
progression tables in the PHB are *not* open content (I think) and thus,
not in the SRD ("System Reference Document").

Compare a D&D 3e Player's Handbook to the SRD at the Open Gaming website
(at http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/srd.html ) to see one example of
how this works.  Someone even claimed the Ryan Dancy, when asked if someone
could print and sell their own Player's Handbook based on the SRD, said,
"Sure.  But why would they?" (or something to that effect).

Be sure to  post your URL when all the scans are available.   :)

Kent