[WW] ny $1.18 on d20

forgive if this is a post appears multiple times, hotmail seems to be
running in error today... ...the rich

<<<ramble mode on>>>

>From: Arne Reuter <reuter@tse-online.de>
>
> > A) SUPER easy for the GM.
>That's where D20 fails miserably. I _never_ find time to prepare
>monsters beforehand, let alone learn all their nifty special
>abilities. And I get absolutely crazed, when a player rules lawyer
>blunders about what the monster is supposed to be able to do.
-------------------->
i rarely find time to prepare ahead of game day, but then i've been blessed
with the ability to create "on the fly" and i tend to work in an "open book"
enviroment. that is, i grab my MM and leaf the pages i think i'll be needing
while "pre~game social hour is running. i also find 'prep' time, you learn
to squeeze it in whreeever you can (lunch break, in car at soccer practice,
dr's office, etc). as for rules lawyers, table courtsey prevents my players
from griping (i reciently took a 3 month hiatus where several other GM's
took over my 2 games. they were glad for my return).

> > B) Allows players to make use of friendly NPCs.
>Oh yes, what a bugger. A system to unload those on the players without
>giving out who is the "secret spy" or something really does help.
------------------->
i only keep 'draft' information on my NPC's around. the nice thing i've
learned about NPC's over my time is that you do not need an FBI dossier on
them (unless you are really that fanatical-got a local GM who does a complet
write up for EVERY npc ~ including the stable boy ?!?!? ~ talk about a time
burner ~ but then, he doesn't have kids like me).

> > D) Allows for great character advancement. Yes, but sometimes D&D deters
>from _character_ advancement and makes
>it either stat advancement or "magic item hanger" advancement.
-------------------->
this, i believe, lies partially in the GM. a good one can 'encourage'
character advancement in most systems through storyboard details and
reasonable role playing.

>BTW: Experience points in D&D are given for non-combat situations,
>too. Personally I never have the nerve to calculate the xp after a
>mission how it is supposed to be done, but rather judge an amount
>based on how fun the evening was (and whether objectives were
>reached). I found "mature" players don't have enough time to play to
>be sticky with xp, so what if they are level 6 after 5-8 play
>sessions...
i personally tend to judge various exp bonuses on how a character is played.
skills used. etc. about every 3 game sessions most of my PC's advance (save
for one player who eternally has a 1st level PC because they keep clocking
out ~ and, for the record, i'm not a killer GM).

sorry for the longhand typing...
<<<ramble mode off>>>

...the rich
"sam, you are the best that i got. now if you are ready sir, why don't you
go take that hill!"