RE: [WW] Re: Systems [Veering OT]

I find the DL classic system to be one of the fastest combat systems for so
much detail that is taken into account. When playing Classic, you get great
things like hit locations, variable initiative, etc. My favorite part is that
initiative isn't the same everytime and you can hold cards up your sleeve.
My gaming group picked it up and was able to run it smoothly in about a half
an hour.

d20, on the other hand, is boring, -and- simple. Sure combat goes by fast, but
it's because there's no detail. I read a d20 sourcebook that suggested this as
a good way to describe combat to players:

Rion slashes at you with his sword, causing 7 points of damage.

In the Classic DL system, you could never get away with such vague blandness,
even if you left out all sorts of extra descriptive details.

I'll save my disdain for class systems for some other mail.

On a positive note, I love Weird Wars! Can't wait for some Nam and Boxer
Rebellion action!