Re: [WW] Russian/Pacific Front books.

My own knowledge base is shockingly lacking concerning
the Pacific front when compared to either Europe or
Russia so much of what I imagine I’ll see there will
be new to me at the very least. I can see some
interesting possibilities having some PCs running
around Singapore before she fell to the Japanese as
well as some fun in Burma.

-->Or the AVG group in China prior to 1941.  Singapore is another good
one.  Or, the Phillipines, where the PCs could either struggle along the
Bataan Death March, or escape into the jungle and lead Fillipino
resistance to teh Japanese.  A Chindit campaign is also a possibility,
operating in Burma and India.  Depending on your campaign style, a more
political campaign could happen in China, with the tensions between Mao,
Chaing Kai Chek and Joe Stillwell.  Teh Pac war book should probably also
cover some what the Sino-Japanese war prior to 1941, and you can have the
PCs flee Nanking before it fell to the Japanese.

I’m not too sure as to the advantages in playing a
Russian Front game. There are some excellent siege
campaigns and the possibility of some guerrilla
activities. Perhaps a few artifact hunts and
search/destroy missions against powerful icons before
they are overrun by the panzers. For real fun and
games I suppose you could station your PCs on the
Russian border just before June 41. Let them get
utterly overrun and then begin the process of trying
to find friendly lines once more. Do they go east to
greater conflict or west to strike behind German
lines? As they stumble in either direction the
potential for witnessing atrocities and dodgy stuff is
certainly great.

-->A group of NKVD characters would have possibilities.  They could be
leading troops at stalingrad, or looking for artifacts (the Ark?) in the
Caucasuses, or infiltrating/leading resistance groups.  The Russian book
opens up more possibilities for resistance fighters than before, as the
whole communist aspect now comes fully into play.  There were communist
resistance cells all over Eastern Europe, France, and Greece.  Plus the
whole Finnish front (and Winter War).  Though I kinda like the idea of
plopping level 1 grunts into Stalingrad, with over zealous NKVD right
behind them.

Josh R
"No matter where you go, there you are."  B.Bonzai