Re: [WW] Re: STOCS & the Deadlands System

>How do other people find the Deadlands system? I am
>not saying it is utterly without redemption but there
>always seemed to be far too much die rolling, combat
>seemed overly complicated with too many steps involved
>and too many different mechanisms.

Its great for what is what meant to do.  Simulate a shot for shot, gun
blazing western shoot out.  For small groups of people(no more them 10 on
each side)  it works great.  I honestly have never had a problem with a lot
of dice rolling.  But there are a lot of rolls in the standard attack
action.

The two major problems I have had are

1) Steep learning curve.  Its not an easy system to pick up,  it takes a few
really good play sessions to get the players use to the rules.  That being
said, once they know the rules the game moves much quicker(I guess you can
say that about any game really)

2) Large Fight break downs.  Like I said, its great for small Western style
gunfights.  But it doesn't work well for mass combat.  A lot of people have
there own house rules to help spead up mass combat but there is nothin built
into the system(unless you count the quick combat system put into the HOE
Unity Adventure)

Overall I think the good out wieght the bad for the system.  The Thing is
that the Deadlands system is good for Deadlands.  The Chips, Cards, funny
names for actions,  all are there for a western game(western horror, Post
Apoc Western, and Western in Space).  They do more the help determine if the
action is a success,  they help set the mood for the game.

Would I use the Deadlands system for any other game I run(WW, Fading Suns,
Exalted, D&D),  No.  But If I ever found another western style game that had
a cool story line but not a great system, most definetly.

Dan

Get faster connections -- switch to MSN Internet Access!