Re: [DL] Marshal and Chips

>Brian "If I gave them bounty as chips, they would use the chips to >stop
>wounds etc and never get any better through experience" >Leybourne.

--------------------------------------

I guess it is more a matter of balancing it out rather than a question of
spanking the players.  As the marshall's handbook states:  (paraphrased) It
is OK to be more stingy or lenient with fate chips, depending on your
posse's situation.  I was outlining some situations to help our petitioner
right the (admittedly Marshal perceived) imbalance.

While I know you were not flaming Brian, I do want to defend my statements.
In my own loquacious and overblown way.

Speaking personally, I guess as a guideline, I try to leave the posse with
2-4 bounty points worth of chips at the end of each adventure (not session.)
  I honestly try to balance out the chip outflow against the inflow.
Honest!

I find, as a player, I get pretty jaded about a character who gets chips too
easily.  Maybe its a personal sickness, but I tend to remember the
characters that I fought to improve - tooth and nail, inch by bloody inch.
That is in contrast to the characters where I got all the hexes in the book
in a month.  (The situation above was exaggerated for effect.)

However, I know that not every one thinks like I do.  So, I try to outline
to players that this is not AD&D.  That is, 1) they are expected to be
heroes, and 2) they are very likely to snuff it.  I try to promise them that
- barring any majorly stupid actions - they will go out in a blaze of glory.
  An end worthy of the heroes they (hopefully) portray.  But this allows
them to make their decisions about weather to play right up front.  Everyone
has a style.

Anyway, maybe I am a little harsh on my possies.  I never thought of it that
way.  Gosh, I can be mean as a Marshall.  I think I'll just give them a hug.
;-)  A big wendingo hug, that is.

Jeff "Don't let the gruff demeanor fool you.  I'm really a softie - and I'm
ticklish." Tolle