Re: [DL] Mood Music [OT] german.

Hrm...I could be completely wrong here, but my translation is just a bit
different.

DU
You

DU HAST
You have

DU HAST MICH
You have me

DU HAST MICH GEFRAGT
You have asked me

DU HAST MICH GEFRAGT UND ICH HAB NICHTS GESAGT
You have asked me and I have said nothing.

The second part I make out to be something like:

Will you til death do you part be faithful for all days?

No

Will you til death do you part love even in bad days?

No

But...I'm much less positive about the second part, and I'm more
paraphrasing that into english rather than literally translating.

That's from 3 years of college german, spread out over 4 1/2 years, and it's
been a good 3 1/2 years since I've been out of school.

Haben, to have, and Hassen, to hate DO sound similar in the second person
familiar (the "du" form) but I believe they are spelled differently.  Of
course, if they sound similar, (ie are homonyms) and this would give each of
the beginning lines double meanings.   (Quite possibly the intent I don't
know.)

However, this is all really off topic.

Ed Greaves
http://vger.rutgers.edu/~olorin/