Re: [DL] RE: Idaho the Deadland.

At 09:45 AM 01/28/00 +1300, you wrote:
>> how did they turn Idaho into a Deadland?

    Living in Idaho, I can confirm your storyline that Idaho is a Deadland,
or at least still a part of the Weird West. I am working on a plot hook
about the original capital of Idaho (Lewiston) as of 1863, that according
to legend, had 'papers' stolen and taken to Boise to make that city the
official capital (I am not sure what these papers were, but when you enter
the city, there are signs saying 'Welcome to Idaho's first capital!).
      I have a good friend who is a member of the Nez Perce tribe and a
historian for the tribe, and a generally pretty cool guy that tells me a
large part of the area's myths and legends and versions of common myths
(like Coyote and Sasquatch, the latter of which is considered more of an
elemental force of nature than a monster or primitive creature [sidenote:
Sasquatch last sited on the reservation about 20 minutes from my house
crossing a field in broad daylight, in front of several witnesses]} and has
sent me packing home a few times with a severe case of the willies,
wondering if I was going to make it home in one piece. He himself has
encountered a few strange things on the reservation and he is a pretty
sober and rational guy (who taught me to endure the pain of an extreme
sweat lodge session).
     Back to Deadlands, having a few days off, I will be meeting with him
and boiling up a few nasty concoctions to post to the list, as well as a
bit of information on the Nez Perce tribe. I have also been tying together
a little bit of information on the Chinese that lived here during the
1800's (we have an art gallery here with an original complete Buddhist
temple and some nifty information on the timeframe).

Steve