Re: [DL] Was Book O' Curses, Now VOTWW

Patrick Phalen wrote:

> > I disagree, there could be a very good reason as a
> > reward/modification in the
> > middle of the game.  Such as starting the posse as kids
> > and letting time pass in
> > the middle of the campaign without going into detail and
> > letting the players
> > take the Veteran of the Weird West as a method to:
> >                       1. buy off the Kid hindrance
> >                       2. have some points to reflect growth
> >                       3. to use the curse/background table
>
> So basically, using Marshal fiat to advance the storyline
> with characters suffering the consequences...
>
> Still doesn't work for me...
>
> Marshal: "So a bit time passed, and yer all a bit more
> experienced.  James, The good news is that yer boy is no
> longer known around these parts as, "The Kid!"  The bad
> news is he's now called "Lefty, the one-armed, half blind,
> gunman," but I'm gonna give you a point of grit!
>
> Sammy, you're bot's quickness is now 5d12+4, but yer dead
> and lost dominion BIG time..."

No, I didn't explain it all and it was not a Marshal's Fiat, it was a campaign
about a group of kids that meet a'la Stephen King's "It" and face a boogie man
as kids.  They then have to return to deal with the abominations' which where
released in the first conclusion.  Stephen King, the Hack, was an inspiration
for this particular, campaign a number of modifications of his plots were used
for the sections of these stories.  The Marshal wanted to only run one adventure
as kids and used a plot device to bring the kids up.  We used the VOTWW as a
tool that would be fair to all the player's, the marshal had us draw two cards
for the draw and applied the most applicable one to the character.  The point of
grit was for surviving and destroying the Boogie man and the 15 points was used
to reflect our professional development as soldier, scientist, indian shaman,
ect...  That was to occur apart from each other much like what takes place in
King's book.  I guess a multi-million author's ideas don't work for some but it
seemed fine when I played in it.

Jamming