[DL] The juices are flowing...

... creative juices, I mean. What were you thinking? :-)

I have been thinking about the 2 character merging idea I mentioned, and
have some ideas (thanks for all the ideas people sent along). May need a
couple more pointers though...

OK, so maybe the players get given new characters suddenly at the start of
one session. Their character sheets are blank, with a '?' where the name
should be. They have total amnesia and have to discover who they are and
what they do. They are in the HOE timeline (which gives the players a nice
intro to the timeline anyway).

With experimentation, they will find out that they are somehow stuck in a
small town and the surrounding wilderness. When they get more than, say, 5
or so miles north of the town, they reach the barrier and are suddenly 5
miles south of the town (without knowing it). This way, heading off 10 miles
in any direction will get them back to where they started. (Like in the
Adios A-Mi-Go adventure).

The town is in a bad way, and I mean BAD. Don't ask me for details, I'm
making this up as I type. So, they spend a little while learning about
themselves and the fact that they can't leave the town. They have extremely
odd dreams every time they sleep.. they imagine themselves living past lives
etc. One of them dreams about his DL character.

Next session, cut back to the regular players in their regular adventure.
Nothing has anything to do with anything in HOE except maybe one of them has
an odd dream (about something I predict WILL happen to the HOE characters).
Maybe another one has odd dreams about the character he will become AFTER
the HOE character he already has (see below)

Next session, HOE characters again, and they slowly learn more about the
town and it's history. They learn of some great evil that has taken the town
- old and immensely powerful of course, and far beyond the players ability
to defeat. Ideally, they try and get spectacularly dicked. Big time. I mean
a real twatting. They all die.

Back to the regular characters. Nothing new here, same old same old, except
more of them are having those odd dreams now.

Back to HOE timeline. They all have entirely new characters *again*.
Amnesiac again. My players are pretty good, so they'll be able to roleplay
the amnesia thing again and will likely start to learn more about the town
again. Strange dreams again, and one of them may dream about his previous
HOE character who died a couple of sessions ago.

Back to the DL characters. They're all having those odd dreams now. They
arrive at this strange town in the middle of nowhere and discover that they
cannot get more than 10 miles from town before encountering it again.

Back to the second batch of HOE characters, and they discover that they are
the continuously reincarnating souls of the original characters, who fucked
up big time the first time they met the big evil guy and created this
horrendous loop of die - reincarnate - die etc. Their dreams are really bad
now. They take on the big baddie again, and get twatted again. As they die,
some realisation finally comes to them as to the weakness of the baddie
(which they cannot exploit because after 200 years, he's now too powerful
for that weakness to afftect him. If only they had known of it the first
time they had fought him...). They die.

Finally back to the original characters again, as they encounter the
not-as-big-yet bad guy. Their dreams have been getting worse and worse, and
they're all getting them now. Future incarnations of themselves plead for
freedom as it seems that a residual part of their soul is trapped by the bad
guy each time through the loop. Hopefully, they're smart enough to exploit
the weakness that exists and kill that bad man. Yay yay, the town is free,
and all those future incarnations of themselves will never exist and so find
true peace at last (by not existing).

Hmm.. what do you think? Workable? What's the great evil? What's his
weakness? What's the town like? How the heck can I get this to actually
work?

Help!

Brian "not bad for made up as I went along though" Leybourne.

.-->
Brian Leybourne
NT Systems Administrator
Wang; Air New Zealand
brian.leybourne@airnz.co.nz
error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.