Re: [DL] I need some Campaign ideas... SPOILERS FOR JEFF TOLLE'S and BE:TS

On Wed, 09 February 2000, Christopher McGlothlin wrote:

MAJOR SPOILERS FOR MY POSSE. YOU CAN READ, BUT IT WILL RUIN YOUR FUN!

>  Unbeknowst to the Mad Scientist, the CSA captured his [Cherokee sidekick's] family during the forced > march on the Trail of Tears,
>
> <Rock Bottom on text>
>

> The forced migrations of the "Trail of Tears" occurred during the 1820's
> through the 1840's, a full two decades before secession. In other words,
> there was no CSA around to capture the Cherokee's family.

Dang.  Well thanks for the info here.  I do want it to be realistic.  Lets see.  My understanding is that most of the Cherokee were relocated to OK?  However, they did pass through northern TN.  According to some reading I have done, there were also some Cherokee who were lucy enough to escape along the way.  So maybe the indian's (whose name is Soaring Spirit Eagle) family escaped the forced march, taking their 10 year old son with them.

Following this idea, maybe 20 years later his family was captured by the CSA.  The CSA heard legeneds of a tribeless shaman of growing power in the hills of Kentucky / Tennessee.  Given all the war activity in the area, it is reasonable to assume that both the north & south's forces would have heard of anything unusual in the area.  Perhaps both countries wanted wanted to do a threat assesment when they learned of the unusual happenings.  But as it turns out the CSA moved first, and the Corporal who investigated our Cherokee shaman passed the word up the right chanels.  It turns out that a shaman without a large tribe to defend him (ie an easy mark,) and access to the hunting grounds was just the ticket for Davis.  So word went back down the chain, and Soaring Eagle was approached, and told he was to go to California to help futher the CSA was effort.

He steadfastly refused to go to CA, perhaps because the horrors of the Trail of tears was still fresh in his mind.  Thats when Davis' "hip pocket" men (descibed in the VA section of BE:TS - the name escapes me, and I am out of town right now) got ugly, and took his family.  I am going to use Davis' elite guards (thier name still escapes me - begins with a "C" I think) as sort of the answer to the Pinks in the south.  They will be trying to cover up the "wierd" happenings - albiet for completely different reasons.  And instead of trying to end fear, they will be trying to spread it.  I just don't think of the Rangers as bad guys, but I figured Davis must have some cronies to do his work for him.  These jokers fit the bill.  (BTW Chris, Did you write the VA section of BE:TS?)

Soaring Spirit Eagle is very Loyal and Heroic.  Despite his best intentions he actually came to like his "boss" the diminuitive mad scientist.  It soon was obvious to him that his boss was clueless, and really had nothing to do with his capture (This may or may not bear out to be the truth, but it is certainly what Spirit Eagle believs.)  Still he knew that he must somehow escape, and rescue his family.  He managed to escape the compound one night, and headed East to Nashville, where he was sent by Coyote.

This is already established.  In a dream, Coyote told him to "go find the man he was looking for." And that Soaring Spirit Eagle can "recognize him because the man will recognize himself."  So, the poor fellow was reduced to accosting strangers on the street saying, are you the man for whom I am looking.  This was the perfect posse set up, because I knew exactly how they would react, and that only one would take the bait.  He did, and that was how they were drawn in.

I have not yet explained why he was in Nashville from CA.  But, how about he was sent by Coyote to "the place where his family stopped crying" or even "stopped sewing the roses."  Eventually he realized that meant where his family left the trail of tears.

> >Anyhoo, being from NC, I am interested in the trail of tears and that
> whole debacle.  Also, they will be travelling by rail.  The first big bruha
> will be from a train robbery.  Basically the USA is trying to stop the
> Cherokee from returning.
>
> <People's Elbow on text>
>
> As recounted in *Tales o' Terror: 1877*, there are almost no Cherokee left
> to return *anywhere*. Furthermore, while I am no Paul Beakley, I am
> reasonably certain that all the Cherokee's ancestral lands are now within
> the Confederacy.

Chris - my bad (I should never type when I am half asleep)  In this particular case "the Cherokee" I was reffering to was the Cherokee man who is leading the Posse to CA, not "the Cherokee" race as a whole.  The US wants to stop him from getting back to CA and to his Mad Scientist boss.  This is mainly 'cause he has (or the US is pretty sure he has) vital "mad science" information that could affect the war.  At the very least, the USA figures Soaring Eagle can be used as leverage.  I mean the CSA wants him badly enough to steal his family, and the US (through judicious spying - ie Marshal fiat) knows this.

> BTW, what happened to your Posse in Nashville?

SPOILERS FOR BE:TS

I take it you wrote this part of BE:TS.  Well they uncovered the plot to rig the mayoral election, and saved the mayor's wife.  It took some help from the widows of the Confederate Rose Inn.  They also ran into some man-melters, but were unable to get much deeper with that than wow that's gross before the poop hit the fan.  I am writing a chronicle for the adventure. Chris, if you like, I will forward it to you when it is done.  It is long!

I spend about 50% of my time in Nashville, so it seemed right to start of a campaign here.  Just so you know, I can't walk by the old fort on the Cumberland now without getting the creeps. Thanks Chris.

Oh yeah, Chris, one more question.  Do you have the name of any senators who voted yes to A. Jackson's "treaty" with the Cherokee, leading to the forced march who were still alive in 1976?  Or can you reccomend a web-site where I can get the info myself?

Jeff "Thanks for all the help, folks"  Tolle

Love is in the Air...on a 747  to Paris ... Click here to Win !!!
http://shopping.altavista.com/vday.sdc?campid=682421084