Re: [DL]: Beginners questions (a bunch)

"Byron Odwazny" <beyerun@hotmail.com> writes:

(about Gomorra)

> I was going to buy that book tonight because it looked interesting, but the
> authors comments convinced me otherwise.  I'm paraphrasing but it was along
> the lines of: You can't adventure here because nobody enjoys playing in a
> game where you can't change the world.
>
> That's near the back.

I think the passage you're referring to is:

"The characters and events discussed in the rest of this book are more or less complete, and will unfold quite happily with or without the players' participation."

In this paragraph, Rob's referring basically to the CCG storyline that he adapted to the RPG setting. And, truthfully, the CCG storyline will continue to evolve independent of any single posse's actions; not that players don't have an effect on it, just that the outcome may be different than that of your own experiences.

In the next paragraph, he adds:

"The golden rule is to not be afraid to change the storyline to suit your campaign...If you've got a group of players who want to take down Black Jack...then by all means go for it."

Rob's warning was largely directed at CCG-crossover players who might feel tied by the CCG storyline. In the RPG setting, things are much more free form--okay, maybe not. I can't think of the times I've killed Black Jack or Howard Findley's card in a Doomtown game and they just keep coming back. :-)

Gomorra's chock full of personalities and opportunities for mayhem. I highly recommend it as a good starting spot for a campaign.

Especially since it's going to show up (at least a little) in two of our three major adventures this year...

You don't have to have the source book if you want to play them (which we definitely hope you do!), but it will undoubtedly enrich the adventure.

John Goff