[DL] Re: deadlands-digest.20000225

> Well...at the risk of sounding like an apologist...
>
> There are _very_ few systems that don't have movement flaws. Big ones.
>
> The reason we settled on you can divide your character's movement for the
round up in whatever fashion you want over the course of his action cards is
pretty simple. No other method works any better and this is just plain the
quickest.

> It used to be divided evenly by the number of cards the player drew. Big
problem--some one with a high Quickness roll more often than not covered
distance slower than someone with a low one. Reason--the high Quickness had
to divide his movement over a number of cards, whereas the low score could
do it all in a burst of speed on his one or two cards. In essence, the
faster you move, the slower you get to your destination. :-)

> The method you're using right now does provide a better "realistic" gauge
of travel times, but, to be honest, does call for extra calculations--which,
in turn, slows the combat down.

> If everyone got only one action in a given round, it would be easy, but
they don't. The number varies from round to round further complicating the
process. Sure, the all-on-one-card movement may be a little quirky, but IMO
it's the best solution given our system.

> Sorry--that's my best answer. :-)

<Sigh> Yeah, that's pretty much what I expected your reply to be.  No
apology necessary!

What we've considered is importing Rolemaster's optional second-by-second
system (which I've already modified for use with firearms in a
Cyberpunk/Rolemaster crossover I ran). The only problem is that it takes
away the sleeved card option.  It starts with a Quickness roll, which tells
you what column to consult.  The column has listed how long each type of
action should take you based on that roll.

Has anything like this been considered?  Has anyone else tried this?