Re: [DL] persuading against the odds

Tom,

I hear what you are saying.

Small anecdote:  My roommate and his friends were playing shadowrun.  The
one player who was extremely eloquent had no skill in persuasion.  He made
this long well thought out speech, then the one character that did have an
extremely good persuasion skill, effectively said "Yeah!" so that they could
get the dice to try to make the roll.  The player for that second character
had no ability to make the speech in the first place.  The character
however, should have.

If it's a skill, the players should always get a chance, and setting your
target number to 167 should reflect the actual difficulty of doing so.  It
should not be artificially high because you feel that the PLAYER should have
to be really good at persuading.

Now that said, what I typically believe in doing, is rewarding the player
for doing a good job at role-playing.  If the PC RPs the persuasion, I might
give them a bonus (or minus if they do a really BAD job) to their roll.

Another example, from a different RP system.  In our fantasy based RPG,
deities sometimes take an active role in the world on behalf of worshippers.
  If you find yourself in a bind, you may make a prayer to your deity, and
then series of rolls to see the result.  (Which could be anywhere from
nothing, to the deity showing up and personally lending a hand.)  We refer
to this game mechanic as making a "god shot".  Anyone can do it just by
saying that they do so.  IF, you actually role-play out your prayer to the
deity, you will get a bonus, which increases your chances of some divine
intervention.

I suggest something similar in this type of a case.  Do not punish the
player because he personally is not skilled in that particular way.  Instead
reward those that are.

Another alternative is to reward with a chip those players that pull off
remarkable role-playing in these situations.  Or forego the roll.

Well, that's just my opinion.

Ed Greaves
temporus@hotmail.com
http://vger.rutgers.edu/~olorin