Re: [DL] persuading against the odds

For my two bits:

I would agree that the best route is to ask players to provide an approach style. Is the character trying to fast-talk a NPC into doing something, or are they providing arguments for why the NPC should do something. The more specific they can get, the better. Even if a player isn't socially inclined, they should have a general idea about what sort of approach would be convincing to them.

One of the players in my group has a fast-talking "alchemist" (some of his concoctions work) who often buries the dim-witted in large words. Another player had a Marshall who would lay out, all nice and neat, every reason for the NPC to do what the Marshall wanted.

"We live on an island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity and it was not meant that we should voyage far." -H.P. Lovecraft

E. Zimmerman
erzimmerman@stthomas.edu