Re: [DL] persuading against the odds

| Partially it's about the Fate Chips, but mostly mousy players are screwed
because, as someone said, the
| player is allowed to use dice rolls to determine success or failure in
almost all cases except social
| interaction.

I should point out that I while I do ask a player to tell me what approach
he takes, this approach has zero effect on the die roll: if he can't think
of anything good, I narrate the scene based solely on his rolls.  By the
same token, if he's really convincing, yet fails his roll, he is unable to
persuade his target.

That said, I do generally set "triggers" in the conversation (ie, if you
show him the evidence, he believes you; if you killed his brother, he
doesn't believe you).  OTOH, these triggers exist in a gunfight, too.  If
you're out of ammo, you can't hit.  If he's lying unconcious on the ground,
you won't miss.

In both cases, if you do something really cool you get a chip.

Oh, and I should point out:

----------
The solution to this whole debate is pretty simple: fate chips.

If they roll well, they succeed.

If they role-play well, the get fate chips.

And ne'er the twain shall meet.

B. D. Flory
ICQ# 53912341

I *do* allow players to use dice rolls to determine success or failure in
social interaction.  Please, make sure you understand my position before
you argue against it.

B. D. Flory