Re: [DL] Kill 'em all (WAS: persuading against the odds)

> Yes, but more often than not I believe those Marshals that follow the
"Kill 'em all!" philosophy of our
> beloved John Goff will use those chances to kill them.

I guess at this point, I should come forward and admit I'm not  quite the
hardcase most of you seem to think I am when it comes to Marshalling.

My opinion is a game should be a challenge. If it swings too far to the easy
side when it comes to combat, there's simply no concern when it comes to
battles on the part of the players. I've played games where I've been told
up front the GM hated to kill characters--or would outright avoid it. I
found the game less exciting for that; after all there was little threat to
me in a combat situation, so there was little reason to fear it--or events
that might lead to it, like overawe contests with crooked lawmen, etc.

When the chips were down, I figured, the odds were on my side that I'd walk
away from it.

On the other hand, if you're doomed from the get-go, there's no point in
playing either. Why waste your time playing a game when you know no matter
what you do, you're going to die? Not much, really, IMO. Even in the worst
Call of Cthulhu scenarios you've got a chance.

What I enjoy as a player is a tough game. One where I have to work to
succeed at my goals. And that's what I try for when I'm Marshalling.

Yeah, I put on a front of being a real "killer Marshal," but when it's all
said and done, I _want_ to see a smart posse win. Everybody has a much
better time that way.

(Note: I said _smart_; a bull-headed posse that insists on picking fights at
the wrong time or just being plain stupid is fair game.)

I might--just might--even give a character a break once in a while.

But if a player goes into one of my games expecting one, he'd better have
his character's plot on Boot Hill paid for in advance.

:-)

And I _do_ tend to run a little tougher for one-shot or non-introductory
convention adventures. The players aren't likely to have built an attachment
for the characters and they're expecting a bit of a work out.

John "I'm not really bloodthirsty; I'm just drawn that way." Goff