Re: [DL] Discussion on RVC2, and Spoilers

--- The Baron Samedi <baron11@netmcr.com> wrote:
> Also, just what the souce of
> Pannaggalin is that is so rare was unlisted unless I
> missed it.

Uncertain exactly what this sentence says, but I think
you're asking where Pannaggalin come from.  I have not
looked at RVC2 so I'm not sure what they had the
creature as, but if memory serves me correctly it's
Philippine in origin.  Again, I have not looked at
RVC2 so this isn't really spoilers but more from my
memory (and I believe this creature is also listed in
AD&D Fiend Folio), but it's a female vampire like
creature that could detach its head and inner organs
from the rest of the body and fly around by its hair
(or somesuch).  I recall reading a few years back a
news article in which the local populance believed
such a creature was still alive on their island and
harrassing cattle, that's how I believe it's
Philippine.

Well to verify I've been searching websites on
folklore and found one which describes a story of
women who seperate the top part of their bodies from
the bottom and have to reunite by morning.  The story
is The Four Aswangs ...
http://members.tripod.com/~magicrealms/folklore/four.html

After continuing to look through that site
(magicrealms/folklore) I came across something that
might interest Deadlander marshalls out there:
http://members.tripod.com/~magicrealms/folklore/survey.html

It's a collection of different beings that the
Philippines believe in.  The section of great interest
would be the Ghouls (where the Aswang is listed).
Here's there listing for the Aswang for people who
can't access this site:

ASWANG - ghoulish aspects (Many ethnolinguistic
groups)
    * Physical Description - has human shape
    * Domicile - human dwelling
    * Activities - listens for sounds of death at 6 pm
and leaves for his operations at 8 pm.
    * Intellectual and Spiritual Endowments - plans
nocturnal itenerary;
      takes food home to feed family
    * Animal Instincts - man-eating corpse thief; eats
liver of chicken and guts of old persons
    * Magical Character - is able to hear sounds of
death from great distance by special devices; is able
to change corpse into pig carcass

Anyone else run across any interesting folklore sites?

-Munch Wolf