[DL] Hucksters and Spell Levels

With the revised change in hucksters and the way they handle their art It
became clear to myself and my group that there were some quirks to the
system.

If a huckster is casting something offensivem, specificly black lightning
the high hexslinger level is going to make the hex lethal due to the number
of high damage charges that occur.  The consequence of this in my party was
that a noephyte huckster was attempting to practice throwing black lightning
and caught backlash that prettymuch fried him.  If he hadn't blown some
serious fate chips he would have bought it only two hours into his first
adventure.

So I thought to myself, only someone who loves a chalenge or a fool would
make a huckster with less than 5 points in hexslinging.  But the power of
the spells that he cast would be greater than needed and more than he could
control.

Solution:  I don't know if this is already the case but I'm allowing my
hucksters to choose what level of hexslinging they want to use.  That way a
practice spell wont kill them and they won't blow their heads off trying to
light a cigar.  The up side of this is they still get the full amount of
dice but the effect of the spell is manageable and can be time.  This works
great with things like black lightning, Time warp, and certian spells with
timed effects.

Solution the second:  The above works great for old spells that a huckster
already knows.  But what about new spells that they learned?  In the old
days the new spell was bought at level one and stayed that way for at least
one adventure.  But now you can buy a soul burst and right away start mowing
down lynch mobs like there is no tomorrow.  So For my posse when a new spell
is bought it can only be used at level 1 until the huckster has cast it
sucessfully twice the number of the next level.  So a new hex would be at
level 1 till it was cast 4 times.  Giving the huckster a chance to learn to
use the spell wisely and keeping him from getting too powerful too fast.

Hope this helps I know that it does for me.

Ron Conner
Marshal of the insane gunbunny runners