Re: [DL] odd ideas/questions, Spoilers

At 02:02 PM 3/14/00, you wrote:
>In a message dated Tue, 14 Mar 2000 12:09:20 AM Eastern Standard Time, The
>Baron Samedi <baron11@netmcr.com> writes:
>

> > here are some of my thoughts
> >
> > Spoiler

> > OK, first of all, Nosferatu, as I have seen them, seem to not fit the
> > "Cinematic Vampire" options we were given.  Should we use the info in the
> > Dispatch in Junkman Cometh for PCs who get the fang from a Nos?  or just
> > assume they always change to cinematic somehow.
> >

>Good point--and believe it or not, there was a coherent train of thought
>behind my decision to approach it as I did. :-)
I believe it.

>I tried to leave it up to the Marshal whether or not he wanted to allow a
>nosferatu PC in his posse. As written, a nosferatu really _isn't_ PC
>playable; they're just too feral and monstrous. Anyone encountering one
>knows a nosferatu is a monster and is going to take steps to either flee
>or kill it. Not much roleplaying potential there.

right.  Tho there is a small precedent with Harrowed of Degeneration 2-5.

>Well, at least in DL. In HOE, they're just another mutation. ;-)
Good logic there.  part of why I would look oddly at someone playing one on
purpose.  It just hurts my sense of completeness to not have a system. ;-)

>So, for DL, I decided to give heroes the benefit of the doubt and assume
>that somehow they're better able to resist the draw of the nosferatu's
>feral nature and retard their descent into abominationhood (if the Marshal
>so allows). Kind of like those movies where the God-awful vampire bites a
>main character and he resists his monstrous impulses far longer than the
>secondary characters can (From Dusk 'til Dawn, etc.), only more forgiving.
>That bloodlust is why they have the -2 mod to Traits/Aptitudes until they
>feed the first time.

right.

>If you want to have the character assume the appearance of a nosferatu
>right away, it's certainly your call. However, be warned that it's going
>to seriously curtail the player's interactive roleplaying with non-player
>characters. :-)

right.

>I'd recommend letting them slowly revert to bald-headed bloodsuckers by
>causing the transformation to occur as they accumulate Corruption, myself.

makes sense

>Now, as to TJC's take on vampires in the Wasted West, there are two things
>to keep in mind.
>
>First, the blurb in the back of TJC is a quick fix to errata. There really
>wasn't room to include lengthy rules on vampires. However, it does work
>and if you'd rather use that, go for it.

kinda, if Corruption is factored in

>Second, HOE and DL, while they use the same system, are different games.
>HOE is much more over the top, and something like a nosferatu is much
>easier to explain away there than in DL. Nosferatu player characters in DL
>are going to be far too restricted to be any fun after the first adventure
>or two, IMHO. Again, though, if you're having fun with it in DL as
>presented in TJC, that's what's important; don't change it just to fit
>with RVCII. :-)

In this, case, it is with an NPC Nos in my games.  While I don't have any
Brian Van Hooses, there is a precedent (in he game) for someone getting the
fang and fighting the urges, but looking like a Nos is why I was asking.  I
know I don't HAVE to be consistent with the rulebook but I like to.

>Either way, though, I'd recommend tacking Corruption on it to make the
>bloodsucker toe the line of being a hero and not a monster.

no doubt.

>My thoughts,
>
>John
Your thoughts are always appreciated