RE: [DL] Re: Huckster Problem

Spoiler space

> As to the Law both mib and lynch law.  They don't do a lot of public
> displays and two of them are hexslingers to the show is kept
> to a minimum.
> They tend to use something covert like yer out, loaded for
> bear or a timly
> soul blast at point blank range.  One is researching touch of
> death which
> should be loads of fun...Not!

Ah, then you shouldn't let your hexslingers off so lightly :-)

Hexes *should* be flashy, and they *should* be hard to use in an area filled
with onlookers without giving away that you are calling on the powers of
darkness for power (well, you ARE!).

The Hexslinger in my posse finds that every time he casts a hex, his guns
glow an eldritch blue, with electricity/lightning flowing over the surface
like quicksilver, constantly moving. Hexes like Loaded for Bear also cause a
bried visual display when fired, as if a laser had fired from the gun to the
target - extremely quick, but the eye can pick it up.

Bodyguard and the like either a) cause the blue electricity effect but over
the whole body, or b) the bullets obviously stop in mid air and drop to the
floor - quite obvious to anyone watching that something arcane is going on
(or A *and* B).

I have a (new) huckster (not hexslinger) in the posse, and he wanted to be
something different - the card thing gets a tad old after a while, so we
agreed that he channels the energy in a different way. Although we still
have to use the card system to resolve the spell casting (with the excellent
new backlash table you'll find at
http://freespace.virgin.net/max.trebilcock/deadlands/ddbacklash.htm),
in-game he doesn't have the cards appear in his hand. Instead, he has to
draw runes in the air, which draw the required energy from the HG. The
better he draws the rune, the more powerful the effect (what hand the player
pulls) but the rune is visual - fat sparking purple lines forming an
intricate runic pattern in the air - kind of hard to hide (even harder, in
fact, than a some cards appearing in your hand). But it's a cool visual look
and so we're going with that.

Brian "International quote free day. Oops" Leybourne.

.-->
"The Web brings people together because no matter what kind of a twisted
sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals out there.
Type in 'Find people who have sex with goats that are on fire' and the
computer will say, 'Specify type of goat.'"

Brian Leybourne
brian.leybourne@airnz.co.nz
bleybourne@hotmail.com
error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.