[DL] "Is it evil?"

<snip "Is it evil?" discussions>

I don't want to unravel a whole metaphysical discussion on the nature of
Evil here.
I just want to offer a heuristic to guide Marshals if they are unsure of
when a PC is crossing the line.

First off, God (YHWH, the gods, the Tao, the Goddess, et al) sees
*everything*,  so I won't spend too much time and effort in deciding if the
PCs are being bad from the sinning'/doing wrong/etc point of view, unless it
has metagame effects (Sinning rolls, social interaction rolls, plot device,
etc.)

Just ask yourself: WWRD? (What Would the Reckoners Do?)

Did the PC consciously do something that the Reckoners or one of their
agents would seek to do?

I'm not talking about PCs who have been duped into doing something because
they believed the action would have different consequences, or PCs that
acted out of ignorance of just how truly horrific the results would be,
although these are all gray areas.

I am talking about a PC that is fully cognizant of "If I do Action X, it
will have Result Y, and that's what I intend to happen." PCs don't have to
have any knowledge of the Reckoners themselves, just that Result Y is a "Bad
Thing." And if they *DO* know about the Reckoners and their role, then it's
pretty much a done deal that the PC has "crossed over." A PC who actively
raises Fear Levels (even if the PC is ignorant of what a Fear Level is) has
become a tool of the Reckoners.
Stamp "NPC" on the top of the character sheet and take it from the player.

Sandor

PS All this assumes that previous to this point, the Marshal has made it
clear to the players that "evil" characters will eventually become NPCs.